December 21, 2017
Kazan Federal University announces the contest for the Lobachevsky Medal.
The Lobachevsky Medal and Prize are awarded by Kazan Federal University for outstanding works in geometry and its applications. The medal is named after Nikolay Lobachevsky (1792 – 1856), a genius mathematician, creator of non-Euclidean geometry, Rector of Kazan Federal University (1827 – 1846). The medal is the successor of the two previous awards:
The Lobachevsky Prize (1897 – 1937);
The Lobachevsky Medal (1992 – 2002).
The contest is for individuals holding any citizenship.
Nominations for the Lobachevsky Medal can be proposed by:
a) academicians and corresponding members of the Russian Academy of Sciences and Tatarstan Academy of Sciences, members of other Russian and overseas academies and scientific societies;
b) Russian and overseas scientific institutions and tertiary education institutions;
c) outstanding scientists – laureates of the prestigious science awards.
Organizations or individuals that propose nominations must provide the following documents to the International Jury:
a) author’s personal details (workplace, job title, mailing address, phone numbers);
b) links to published work (series of works);
c) a motivated introduction of the work, its significance for science and technology development.
Materials on nominations should be sent to firstname.lastname@example.org since the day of this publication. Submissions can be made until June 30, 2017.
The winners will be determined before September 30, 2017.
Medals, diplomas and money prizes of 75 000 USD will be handed over to the winners during a special KFU Academic Council meeting on December 1, 2017. The awards ceremony is held in the Alexander Hall of Kazan Federal University. The Medal and the Prize are presented by the President of the Republic of Tatarstan and the Chairman of KFU Academic Council.
Our website: https://medal.kpfu.ru
Contact Address of the International Jury:
420008, Kazan, 35 Kremlyovskaya St., N.I. Lobachevsky Institute of Mathematics and Mechanics.
Tel.: +7 (843) 233-70-60, +7 (843) 233-77-14.
International Jury for the awarding of the Lobachevsky Medal:
1) Marat Arslanov, Professor of KFU, Academician of the Tatarstan Academy of Sciences, Chairman (Kazan),
2) Anatoly Fomenko, Professor of MSU, Academician of the Russian Academy of Sciences, Co-Chairman (Moscow),
3) Valery Berestovsky, Professor, Leading Research Associate of the Institute of Mathematics of the Siberian Branch of RAS (Novosibirsk),
4) Fedor Bogomolov, Professor of the Courant Institute of Mathematical Sciences NYU (New York, USA), Head of the Algebraic Geometry at the Higher School of Economics (Moscow),
5) Sergey Vodopyanov, Professor, Head of the Geometric Control Theory of the Institute of Mathematics of the Siberian Branch of RAS (Novosibirsk),
6) Alexander Grigoryan, Professor of Bielefeld University (Germany),
7) Mikhail Gromov, Professor of IHES (France), Professor of NYU (USA),
8) Sergey Matveev, Professor of Chelyabinsk University, Academician of RAS (Chelyabinsk),
9) Alexander Mischchenko, Professor of MSU, Research Associate of the Institute of Mathematics of RAS (Moscow),
10) Semyon Nasyrov, Professor of KFU, Corresponding Member of Tatarstan AS (Kazan),
11) Tudor Ratiu, Professor of Swiss Federal Institute of Technology in Lausanne (Switzerland),
12) Stanislav Smirnov, Professor of University of Geneva (Switzerland), Professor of SPbSU (St. Petersburg),
13) Alexei Starobinsky, Leading Research Associate of the Institute of Theoretical Physics of RAS, Academician of RAS (Moscow),
14) Shing-Tung Yau, Professor of Harvard University (USA).